December 30, 2012

Marshmallow Gun's Top 10 Songs of 2012 - Drumstep

Drumstep is a new genre which combines the greatness of Drum n Bass and Dubstep. I think Drumstep is a great genre because it combines the best of both worlds. When it comes to the genre I think that Figure and Terravita were the leader of the Drumstep genre. But now that Drumstep became more popular, artists like ShockOne, Pegboard Nerds and Bare are taking the torch and evolving the genre. I see a lot of progression in this genre because of the music that was released this year. We've heard a lot of innovated stuff from Pegboard Nerds and Adam F. Also I see the rise of Drumstep that will hit the mainstream spot light with remixes like Alyen's Clarity or Shy Kidx's Rocksteady. Here are the Top 10 Drumstep tracks of 2012.

**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.



Zedd Ft. Foxes - Clarity (Aylen Remix) [November 27, 2012]

So Zedd's Clarity made it on our previous top 10 list and hes back again but this time with a different touch. This Drumstep remix was fantastically done by Aylen. Since he made this track, hes gained a lot of recognition. This is by far one of my favorite Clarity remix. The style that he incorporated is quite different because its Drumstep but the vocals stand out a lot more in this remix. He entered this in the Clarity competition and I hope the best for him!





ShockOne - Chaos Theory [October 21, 2012]

This is probably one of the toughest Drumstep song I've heard. It makes you want to mosh the fuck out. I haven't heard this song live but the combination of Drumstep, Dubstep, and Drum n Bass in this track is just oozing with complexity. ShockOne did a hell of a job with this track. I love the samples he used in this track, it helped him make the proper transition between Dubstep and Drumstep. Great track overall. You'll enjoy it, trust me.





Terravita - Well Oiled Machine [September 4, 2012]

Terravita is one of my favorite Drumstep artists. They have been around for a couple of years as Hot Pink Delorean and Terravita. The style they've created is just mind blowing. Its like industrial Drumstep, similar to Downlink's and Excision's and Datsik's Industrial Dubstep, Terravita showed the power of Drumstep through this track, Well Oiled Machine. It sounds dark and evil, like a place you don't want to be in but at the same time its welcoming. This synth in this song just meshes well with the whole song.





Krewella - One Minute (DotEXE Remix) [September 7, 2012]

Krewella is a upcoming group from Chicago and DotEXE is an upcoming producer from Chicago as well. Not going to lie, looking that up and realizing they are from the same city is pretty badass. As badass as this remix. This remix combines their superb vocals and a really, really nice Drumstep synth. It has this softness and high pitch saw sound. Its really great, which is why its in the Top 10.





Pegboard Nerds - Pressure Cooker [June 20, 2012]

I do not know where to begin with this track. Its just fucking awesome overall. Pegboard Nerds are the next innovator of this genre. I can feel their presence in 2012 and I'm excited for 2013. Pressure Cooker is one of their best tracks. They mastered the Skrillex sound and took that synth to a whole new level. A level that I have never heard of. Its enjoyable from start to finish. It doesn't sound repetitive or annoying. Its that great.





Kes Kaos - Silhouettes & Shadows (Protohype Remix) [September 24, 2012]

This synth in this track is just...wonderful. Protohype has been producing a lot of tracks and this track in particular is great. The vocals that Kes Kaos provides are soulful and the way Protohype combines that with his synths are just awesome. This is a great track and its something you should download and listen to. Also he does a fantastic Drum n Bass transition which is great!





Sander Van Doorn Ft. Mayaeni - Nothing Inside (Adam F Remix) [June 18, 2012]

This track is done perfectly. I couldn't imagine any other way it could have been done and I want to thank Adam F for this remix. The vocals in this song are sweet and just soft. Its interesting how the melody goes with the synths that Adam F provide. Also with a Drum n Bass drop, I could see this whole track be a Drum n Bass hit. But I'm glad he made this a Drumstep track.





The Bloody Beetroots - Rocksteady (Shy Kidx Remix) [June 27, 2012]

This Electro House/Drumstep remix deserves a fucking spot. Why? Have you heard this track? aside GGB having a great remix, Shy Kidx made this track seem like an original. When I heard this track I think of Megaman but in a really badass way. Its unique and just fun to listen. I don't remember hearing this live but if I did, I would go bonkers!





Figure - The Corpse Grinders [October 16, 2012]

A proper Top 10 Drumstep track has to have Figure in it. This guy has been making Drumstep tracks for years and hes basically the innovator of this genre. After looking and listening to all of his tracks this year, I have to say The Corpse Grinders is just one of those songs that I like. The style that he created is just interesting. The synths are dark along with the samples. It sounds like a horror movie that your stuck in. This music is becoming more and more unique and I hope to see him live in 2013. He's that worth it!





Dirtyphonics - Dirty (Synchronice Remix) [November 6, 2012]

I have no idea why Dirtyphonics gave this track out for free because its just a fucking great track. I've followed Synchronice for a while and this track proves to be a game changer. I just like how it sounds with the Dubstep influences. The patterns that they used for this track is quite complex but yet sound unison. They are a Dubstep group but I think they can make awesome Drumstep songs. I hope they continue this because they will make bangers in 2013.





Honorable Mentions

Bare - Kush Lovers (Bare 2012 Remix) [TBA]

This song goes out to all the kush lovers! This song is just amazing. If you haven't heard it, give it a listen because the synths in this track is just fucking crazy. Too bad Bare hasn't released the full track because I've been wanting this song! I can't forget this track so this is why this track is on the Honorable Mention list. I look forward to the proper release!

0 comments: