Marshmallow Gun's Top 10 Songs of 2012 - Electro House
Electro House has dramatically changed in the last couple of years. I remember when The Bloody Beetroots were one of the groups that lead the Electro House scene. Then after that Complextro came into the scene and was led by Lazy Rich Darth & Vader, Far Too Loud, and Zedd. Now Complextro became the new Electro House. This year Electro House came in many forms from the likes of Zedd, Wolfgang Gartner, and Dyro. Here is our list of the Top 10 Electro House tracks of 2012!
**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Far Too Loud - Firestorm [July 15, 2012]
Far Too Loud has to be one of my favorite Electro House producers of ALL TIME. Yes hes that fucking great. I've been a fan of his music for over 2 years and I remember when he use to make Disco House music before making a transition to Electro House. This track proves to be the gem of them all, I remember listening to Firestorm for the first time, I was mind blown. The complexity in this track is off the walls. I remember The Bloody Beetroots playing this track live at Hard Summer in Los Angeles, I could help but rage in happiness!
Avicii - Silhouettes (Syn Cole Remix) [September 5, 2012]
So in my list of top Progressive House tracks, I mentioned Avicii's Silhouettes, and now he is mentioned in Electro House's but this time Syn Cole did a remix of this track. His remix put a different spin in this song. It turned the soft, progressive feel into a Electro House banger. I don't remember how I found this song but once I found it, I couldn't stop listening to it. He took everything great about the song and added a darker sound and a killer drop. This is such a great track, I'm surprised this song hasn't been played out.
Wolfgang Gartner - Nuke [September 17, 2012]
I've had the pleasure to cover one of Wolfgang Gartner's event back in October and when I heard him play this song live, the bass in this track was thumping. It literally felt like a war zone. The mood of this song is so vibrant, I couldn't believe that Wolfgang Gartner made this track. I feel like this song was named appropriately as it felt like a Nuke was coming to the dance floor. This track is absolutely unique and it was awesome to hear this live. I'm covering Wolfgang Gartner again this New Years Eve, maybe he will play this track once more?
Firebeatz & Schella - Dear New York [September 10, 2012]
Dear New York has one of the sicks synth ever. The synth is like Toulouse's brother. Its innovated and definitely changed Electro House standard. After this track I've heard many attempts of recreating the same synth that Firebeatz and Schella made. I don't know why its called Dear New York but I have to thank that City or State for being their inspiration. This song propelled Firebeatz to superstardom and I'm glad they reached to the top because they deserved it.
Zedd Ft. Foxes - Clarity [November 12, 2012]
Despite Zedd releasing Spectrum earlier this year, I couldn't stand that song. It was over played and I heard it at every festival I've attended. I doesn't mean that I don't like Zedd because hes one of my favorite producers but I think Clarity is a much better song than Spectrum. I like the vocals and I feel like the vocals can relate to just about anyone. When I first discovered this song, It stood out to me because It came at the perfect time when I was going through a break-up. I may be biased in some sort of way with this song but shit, it helped me get through a tough time and I'm sure you guys can relate to that.
Popeska - Karmameter [September 17, 2012]
BRA-BRA-BRA-BRACE YOURSELF! Probably one of the best lines that was ever used in a Electro House song. I swear once I heard that It felt like a roller coaster. Along with Wolfgang Gartner, I saw Popeska and when he played this track I was like "Holy shit, what song is this?!". I couldn't get over the song because of the vocal samples were just amazing in the first build. Popeska decided to do something unique with a double drop, yeah double drop. The first drop hits and you'll nod your head but then it builds again into the second drop. This style is something I can get use to as it catches the listener off guard.
Afrojack & R3hab - Prutataaa (Darth & Vader Remix) [January 17, 2012]
Prutataaa was one of those songs that got me hooked on Electro House. I took a break from Electro House after The Bloody Beetroots took a break from producing. After I heard this track, I was impressed from the synth. It wasn't as complex as I thought it would be but the synth made up for it. Unfortunately I haven't heard this song live or seen him at an event but I hope that changes because he is a game changer in the Electro House scene. If you have the chance, check out his music because it puts a different perspective on the Electro House genre.
Sander van Doorn & Julian Jordan - Kangaroo [August 20, 2012]
This track was one of the first tracks that was posted on Marshmallow Gun. At that time I wasn't sure who made this track but once I found out, I was fucking surprised. I was a fan of Julian Jordan before Kangaroo when he released Rock Steady (Not to be confused with The Bloody Beetroots song). I was impressed that Julian Jordan rose to fame so quickly where he was already collaborating with one of EDM's biggest name. Kangaroo is one of those tracks where chaos with the synths and samples is a good thing. Normally it would annoy me but this track, it was done perfectly. I can't wait to hear more tracks from Julian Jordan and Sander Van Doorn!
Dyro & Ansol - Top of The World [July 9, 2012]
When Dyro and Ansol dropped this song on Soundcloud, I felt like Dyro expressed himself through this song. I think when he made this track he felt like he was on top of the world and he loved it. I think this song solidified his career as a producer. The drop is impressive as it just keeps on rising. From start to finish I thought the track was superbly done. I didn't think that any remix would make this track better but I think I was wrong. If you will understand because this remix will be featured on the other Top 10 Songs of 2012.
Porter Robinson - Language [April 10, 2012]
Porter Robinson dominated this year with Language. By far the best Electro House track this year. I know I sound like a hypocrite but this song is just perfect from start to finish. Every time I hear this song whether if it is at my house or at a festival I get chills. The chords are just amazing. Also with the piano keys, they just work wonderfully together. Porter's made a huge progression with this song and I think its in the right path. He is trying something new but he hasn't forgotten his old Electro House roots. Language is a perfect example. He introduces a Progressive House feel but still uses his Electro House style.
Honorable Mention
Joe Gartson - The Promise [January 2, 2012]
Joe Gartson has to be one of those underground sensations. I feel like he hasn't gotten enough attention because I haven't heard his music live or seen him play at a festival. This guy is absolutely amazing. He and Mord Fustang own a style which is quite different from the typical Electro House/Complextro. I love this style because its a lot more higher pitch with a touch of trance synth. This song in particular shows how Electro House doesn't have to be complex or have a dark synth behind it.
**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Far Too Loud - Firestorm [July 15, 2012]
Far Too Loud has to be one of my favorite Electro House producers of ALL TIME. Yes hes that fucking great. I've been a fan of his music for over 2 years and I remember when he use to make Disco House music before making a transition to Electro House. This track proves to be the gem of them all, I remember listening to Firestorm for the first time, I was mind blown. The complexity in this track is off the walls. I remember The Bloody Beetroots playing this track live at Hard Summer in Los Angeles, I could help but rage in happiness!
Avicii - Silhouettes (Syn Cole Remix) [September 5, 2012]
So in my list of top Progressive House tracks, I mentioned Avicii's Silhouettes, and now he is mentioned in Electro House's but this time Syn Cole did a remix of this track. His remix put a different spin in this song. It turned the soft, progressive feel into a Electro House banger. I don't remember how I found this song but once I found it, I couldn't stop listening to it. He took everything great about the song and added a darker sound and a killer drop. This is such a great track, I'm surprised this song hasn't been played out.
Wolfgang Gartner - Nuke [September 17, 2012]
I've had the pleasure to cover one of Wolfgang Gartner's event back in October and when I heard him play this song live, the bass in this track was thumping. It literally felt like a war zone. The mood of this song is so vibrant, I couldn't believe that Wolfgang Gartner made this track. I feel like this song was named appropriately as it felt like a Nuke was coming to the dance floor. This track is absolutely unique and it was awesome to hear this live. I'm covering Wolfgang Gartner again this New Years Eve, maybe he will play this track once more?
Firebeatz & Schella - Dear New York [September 10, 2012]
Dear New York has one of the sicks synth ever. The synth is like Toulouse's brother. Its innovated and definitely changed Electro House standard. After this track I've heard many attempts of recreating the same synth that Firebeatz and Schella made. I don't know why its called Dear New York but I have to thank that City or State for being their inspiration. This song propelled Firebeatz to superstardom and I'm glad they reached to the top because they deserved it.
Zedd Ft. Foxes - Clarity [November 12, 2012]
Despite Zedd releasing Spectrum earlier this year, I couldn't stand that song. It was over played and I heard it at every festival I've attended. I doesn't mean that I don't like Zedd because hes one of my favorite producers but I think Clarity is a much better song than Spectrum. I like the vocals and I feel like the vocals can relate to just about anyone. When I first discovered this song, It stood out to me because It came at the perfect time when I was going through a break-up. I may be biased in some sort of way with this song but shit, it helped me get through a tough time and I'm sure you guys can relate to that.
Popeska - Karmameter [September 17, 2012]
BRA-BRA-BRA-BRACE YOURSELF! Probably one of the best lines that was ever used in a Electro House song. I swear once I heard that It felt like a roller coaster. Along with Wolfgang Gartner, I saw Popeska and when he played this track I was like "Holy shit, what song is this?!". I couldn't get over the song because of the vocal samples were just amazing in the first build. Popeska decided to do something unique with a double drop, yeah double drop. The first drop hits and you'll nod your head but then it builds again into the second drop. This style is something I can get use to as it catches the listener off guard.
Afrojack & R3hab - Prutataaa (Darth & Vader Remix) [January 17, 2012]
Prutataaa was one of those songs that got me hooked on Electro House. I took a break from Electro House after The Bloody Beetroots took a break from producing. After I heard this track, I was impressed from the synth. It wasn't as complex as I thought it would be but the synth made up for it. Unfortunately I haven't heard this song live or seen him at an event but I hope that changes because he is a game changer in the Electro House scene. If you have the chance, check out his music because it puts a different perspective on the Electro House genre.
Sander van Doorn & Julian Jordan - Kangaroo [August 20, 2012]
This track was one of the first tracks that was posted on Marshmallow Gun. At that time I wasn't sure who made this track but once I found out, I was fucking surprised. I was a fan of Julian Jordan before Kangaroo when he released Rock Steady (Not to be confused with The Bloody Beetroots song). I was impressed that Julian Jordan rose to fame so quickly where he was already collaborating with one of EDM's biggest name. Kangaroo is one of those tracks where chaos with the synths and samples is a good thing. Normally it would annoy me but this track, it was done perfectly. I can't wait to hear more tracks from Julian Jordan and Sander Van Doorn!
Dyro & Ansol - Top of The World [July 9, 2012]
When Dyro and Ansol dropped this song on Soundcloud, I felt like Dyro expressed himself through this song. I think when he made this track he felt like he was on top of the world and he loved it. I think this song solidified his career as a producer. The drop is impressive as it just keeps on rising. From start to finish I thought the track was superbly done. I didn't think that any remix would make this track better but I think I was wrong. If you will understand because this remix will be featured on the other Top 10 Songs of 2012.
Porter Robinson - Language [April 10, 2012]
Porter Robinson dominated this year with Language. By far the best Electro House track this year. I know I sound like a hypocrite but this song is just perfect from start to finish. Every time I hear this song whether if it is at my house or at a festival I get chills. The chords are just amazing. Also with the piano keys, they just work wonderfully together. Porter's made a huge progression with this song and I think its in the right path. He is trying something new but he hasn't forgotten his old Electro House roots. Language is a perfect example. He introduces a Progressive House feel but still uses his Electro House style.
Honorable Mention
Joe Gartson - The Promise [January 2, 2012]
Joe Gartson has to be one of those underground sensations. I feel like he hasn't gotten enough attention because I haven't heard his music live or seen him play at a festival. This guy is absolutely amazing. He and Mord Fustang own a style which is quite different from the typical Electro House/Complextro. I love this style because its a lot more higher pitch with a touch of trance synth. This song in particular shows how Electro House doesn't have to be complex or have a dark synth behind it.

0 comments: