December 28, 2012

Marshmallow Gun's Top 10 Songs of 2012 - Disco House

Disco House is something that I have been listening to for a long time. It started with Daft Punk in the 90's early 2000's. After that I stopped listening to Disco House until I heard Louis La Roche, Duck Sauce, Go Go Bizkitt! and The Phantoms Revenge in 2009/2010. When Duck Sauce released Barbara Streisand, Disco House took a major jump into the spotlight. It was a hit among the mainstream and after 2011 into 2012, it went back to its quiet little spot. I continued to look for Disco House tracks and instantly fell in love with the genre. Artists that stood out this year were Justin Faust, Solidisco, Go Go Bizkitt!, and Tempogeist. Also there was song which caught my attention a week ago which deserves an honorable mention! So here we go with the Top 10 Disco House songs of 2012.

**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.


Icona Pop - I Love It (Solidisco Remix) [November 8, 2012]

Solidisco has to be one of my favorite producers at the moment. They have created a bunch of Disco House gems include this remix of Icona Pop's I Love It. That build from the vocals to the drop is just submerged in Disco goodness. This track is one of those tracks that will be in your head for a long time. The catchiness of the samples and the way they put it together is just amazing. Keep it up Solidisco, I'm expecting a ton of hits in 2013.





Fukuyama - Bigger Boss [May 12, 2012]

Fukuyama are a group which I had the pleasure in finding. This is the first track that I heard from them and after I was hooked. The way that this track is created reminds me of Go Go Bizkitt, even Daft Punk. This song in particular is a upbeat song, there is no way you can not resist to dance. I think a crowd of Disco House enthusiast will enjoy this track because I for one enjoy this track a lot.





Tempogiest Ft. Lisa Dank - Romeo [October 15, 2012]

Disco House doesn't always have to consist a ton of looped samples. Tempogiest and Lisa Dank prove that Disco House can come in all shapes and forms. This track they did together has such a good vibe. From beginning to end, the Disco House track with a hint of 80's synth pop grows like a new layer of skin. It is just that great. If you get the chance, listen to this track because you will not be disappointed.






Solidisco - Hey Everybody [December 3, 2012]

Solidisco is back again and this time with a feature single which was released on my favorite record label, Kitsune. This track is just fucking awesome, period! Hey everybody has this catchy tropical sample but takes a quick shift into the Disco House realm. Definitely one of the tracks that defines Solidisco. I hope they come to the US because they will be worth watching!





Combostar & Mani Hoffman - Free (Go Go Bizkitt! Remix) [June 26, 2012]

Go Go Bizkitt! is by far one of my favorite Disco House artist. I had the pleasure to interview him for Marshmallow Gun. His music and style is so damn unique, I've heard many people replicate it. The awesome thing about that is that the people copying his style are successful! So his remix of Free is a track which showcases his style and it is a clear reminder that his is god like when it comes to producing Disco House tunes. Its a bold statement but holy shit its just that good.





Aniki - O.M.G. [March 13, 2012]

So the people behind track "Lesbian Bondage Fiasco" are back again with this track, O.M.G. Before I talk about the awesomeness about OMG, if you haven't heard of Lesbian Bondage Fiasco, you should go check it out because that song is on a different level. You will love it! O.M.G. is just one of those songs which captures sampling at perfection. Aniki can make some really great tracks just by sampling off of old songs which I find quite amazing. O.M.G. proves my point.





Justice - New Lands (Falcon Remix) [June 25, 2012]

Out of all the tracks Falcon could have remixed, he decided to remix Justice's New Land. This remix is just a one of a kind. It feels liks your stuck in a loop for over 4 minutes. Its a good loop though because Falcon just manage to make that loop sound harmonious and if they are singing like a choir. The funkiness in this song is combined with the repetitive sound of hymning which creates perfection.





The Knocks - The Feeling (Values Remix) [November 27, 2012]

The Knocks are one of my favorite Dance producers of this year. When I heard that they were releasing remixes of their song The Feeling, I was more than excited! When I heard the Values remix this track, I was more than pleased because it had that Disco House style. The vocals are sweet and they just fit perfectly with the synths and samples that Values used! I cannot wait for the tracks that the Values will put out in 2013 and also The Knocks, they are two artists you have to look out for!





Tempogeist - Hold On (Prometones Remix) [October 15, 2012]

I thought Tempogeist's Romeo was good but this remix that the Prometones did just made Hold On ten times better. The remix is very similar to Romeo because it too has the 80's synth pop feel. It reminds me of a cool yet cheesy love song. I remember playing this song over and over for a weekend because I just loved the samples and the synth. I think the Prometones created a different feel of this track because I feel like it shows the lighter side of holding on.





French Horn Rebellion vs Database - Poster Girl (Justin Faust Remix) [November 19, 2012]

I heard this song when Go Go Bizkitt! played it during his radio set. Once I heard it, I instantly fell in love with the song. It took me 2 months to find this song and once I found It, I had to make sure this song was on the Top 10 list because its just perfection. Justin Faust is a god. This track is just amazing from start to finish. Poster Girl isn't a song most of us can't relate to but wow this track just reminds me of summer all the time. It is definitely a summer song and I think it deserves a music video!





Honorable Mention

Chesto - Trosore (Brono Mors) [December 15, 2012]

I'm glad he sent me this submission. Once I heard this song I instantly thought it was perfect. The samples that Chesto used were just absolutely mind boggling. In his description he said that he was inspired by Breakbot and Bruno Mars. So he took Bruno Mars' song and just gave it a Disco make over. A fantastic make over. I love it and I cannot wait for him to continue this Disco House journey because I feel like he can go far with it. Give him a chance and listen to the track, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.


0 comments: