Marshmallow Gun's Top 10 Songs of 2012 - Drum n Bass
Drum n Bass is something that I unknowingly got into. It started with Jungle music with Aphrodite and Dieselboy. It wasn't until 2011 when I really got into Drum n Bass with the likes of Netsky, Camo & Krooked, and The Brookes Brothers. This year, I went to a lot of Drum n Bass shows in Los Angeles which included Dirtyphonics, Netsky, Andy C, Rollz, and Camo & Krooked. Overall those artists came out with top notch sets and that was because of the tracks were produced this year. I think Drum n Bass had an insane year with tons of hits from Sub Zero, Camo & Krooked, Dirtyphonics, and Tantrum Desire! With that being said, here is our list of the Top 10 tracks of 2012!
**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.
12th Planet & Flinch - The End Is Near Part 1 (Dirtyphonics Remix) [December 12, 2012]
What is a Drum n Bass list without Dirtyphonics? A crappy one, Dirtyphonics have been releasing a shit ton of music this year and honestly they were all good but this remix they did for 12th Planet & Flinch is one of my favorites. The way that this track is composed, Dirtyphonics makes the track feel like there is an apocalypse is going on. The synths sounds almost alien like and the screech in the song fits perfectly. I love this track overall and I hope to hear this live.
Mediks - Outbreak [April 9, 2012]
The first time I heard this track was when I saw Rusko live back in April in Los Angeles. They had Andy C on the bill and during his set he dropped this track. Everyone, I mean everyone, guys, girls, drunks, sluts, you name them, they were all going crazy with this track. Literally it was the track of Andy C's set. I loved the set because of the changes in the song. When I listen to it, I feel like there is a zombie invasion and I'm fighting them with a group of friends. You know a song is good when it can take you away from reality and I can say this song did.
Fred V & Grafix - Major Happy [November 26, 2012]
Fred V & Grafix are highly respected in the Drum n Bass community. They have been around for over 3 years in the Drum n Bass scene. They have produced numerous of hits on Hospital Records and this track is another great hit. Although it was recently released not too long ago, this track is just something serene and its a song to just chill and lounge too. Great song from a great artist.
Camo & Krooked - Run Riot (Sub Zero Remix) [March 19, 2012]
Kick in the bass!!! One of my favorite lines, in a Drum n Bass track. This remix that Sub Zero did is just out of this world. I heard the original and I think this remix blew the original out of the water. Its just so fucking insane. Every time I listen to this track I feel like I'm driving down the freeway going 100 mph! The intense bass and dirty synth makes it a roller coaster song. Definitely worth listening to if you haven't heard it.
Brookes Brothers Ft. Haz-Mat - Loveline [November 12, 2012]
Brookes Brothers are one of those artists you have to like. I'm attracted to their style of music. Its just amazing. Their hits included Star Guitar (Remix), Let You Go (Remix), and Beautiful. The track that they did with Haz-Mat is just another hit added to their list. The soulful/synth-ful vocals of Haz-Mat added another depth, layer to the song.
The Prototypes - Suffocate [November 11, 2012]
The Prototypes are just amazing. When they released Suffocate, I instantly knew that this song was going to be a hit among the Drum n Bass heads. I for one like this song a lot as it feels like a classic Drum n Bass hit. The vocals that The Prototypes provided with the near perfect synths provides a Danceable, hell even mosh-able tune. This is a great track and I'm looking forward to their other releases.
Netsky - Give & Take [January 16, 2012]
Netsky is just a great artist overall. I had the pleasure to see him live numerous of times and each set I liked. This song that he released back in January is something special. He is known for this soft synths and his piano keys. If you look back to Memory Lane and Iron Heart, both of those songs were fantastic. His song Give & Take goes back to his old Drum n Bass roots which is one of his best styles!
Monsta - Holdin' On (Skrillex & Nero Remix) [October 23, 2012]
This song is something special. Skrillex and Nero are known for their song Promises which became a huge Dubstep hit. Fast forward a year later, they are back again but this time they remix Monsta's Holdin' On. This track is just phenomenal. The Drum n Bass pattern with Skrillex and Nero's synth is just a one of a kind. You can actually tell who did what part in the song but that's okay because its a wonderful masterpiece.
Rusko Ft. Bonnie McKee - Thunder (Tantrum Desire Remix) [July 10, 2012]
This track was for free for one day only. I remember because Rusko released a remix teaser and when I heard that he released the track for free, I jumped on it quickly. This remix is just great overall. I love Tantrum Desire's music because their style is just so different from most DnB artists. Every time they have a drop, the synth is rising, which I am a big fan of.
Seven Lions Ft. Shaz Sparks - Below Us (Smooth DnB Remix) [April 22, 2012]
Seven Lions is a star in the making. He has grown in such a short time and taking the Dubstep scene by storm. Smooth on the other hand is a Drum n Bass producer on the rise. He has been releasing hit after hit, hell I could do a Top 10 tracks with all of his music. He's just that great. I think this remix he did of Seven Lions' track is the best song out of all of his music this year. It is a tough choice to make as he has been producing a lot of hits. Damn, I'm excited for his 2013 releases.
Honorable Mention
Must Die! Ft. jACQ - Nothing Is Forever [TBA]
This track is a sure surprise. Must Die! is known for his Dubstep and Electro House music. When he released this track I was amazed by the composition. I have a thing for vocal Drum n Bass and I couldn't believe that this track was an original. I didn't know he could make Drum n Bass, this is why he deserves an honorable mention. He is just that good at producing.
**Note there are a lot of tracks that I could have/could have not listen to. This is merely my opinion as these are the tracks that stuck out to me. Also I decided not list which is 1 to 10 as I feel like each song has its own strengths and weaknesses.
12th Planet & Flinch - The End Is Near Part 1 (Dirtyphonics Remix) [December 12, 2012]
What is a Drum n Bass list without Dirtyphonics? A crappy one, Dirtyphonics have been releasing a shit ton of music this year and honestly they were all good but this remix they did for 12th Planet & Flinch is one of my favorites. The way that this track is composed, Dirtyphonics makes the track feel like there is an apocalypse is going on. The synths sounds almost alien like and the screech in the song fits perfectly. I love this track overall and I hope to hear this live.
Mediks - Outbreak [April 9, 2012]
The first time I heard this track was when I saw Rusko live back in April in Los Angeles. They had Andy C on the bill and during his set he dropped this track. Everyone, I mean everyone, guys, girls, drunks, sluts, you name them, they were all going crazy with this track. Literally it was the track of Andy C's set. I loved the set because of the changes in the song. When I listen to it, I feel like there is a zombie invasion and I'm fighting them with a group of friends. You know a song is good when it can take you away from reality and I can say this song did.
Fred V & Grafix - Major Happy [November 26, 2012]
Fred V & Grafix are highly respected in the Drum n Bass community. They have been around for over 3 years in the Drum n Bass scene. They have produced numerous of hits on Hospital Records and this track is another great hit. Although it was recently released not too long ago, this track is just something serene and its a song to just chill and lounge too. Great song from a great artist.
Camo & Krooked - Run Riot (Sub Zero Remix) [March 19, 2012]
Kick in the bass!!! One of my favorite lines, in a Drum n Bass track. This remix that Sub Zero did is just out of this world. I heard the original and I think this remix blew the original out of the water. Its just so fucking insane. Every time I listen to this track I feel like I'm driving down the freeway going 100 mph! The intense bass and dirty synth makes it a roller coaster song. Definitely worth listening to if you haven't heard it.
Brookes Brothers Ft. Haz-Mat - Loveline [November 12, 2012]
Brookes Brothers are one of those artists you have to like. I'm attracted to their style of music. Its just amazing. Their hits included Star Guitar (Remix), Let You Go (Remix), and Beautiful. The track that they did with Haz-Mat is just another hit added to their list. The soulful/synth-ful vocals of Haz-Mat added another depth, layer to the song.
The Prototypes - Suffocate [November 11, 2012]
The Prototypes are just amazing. When they released Suffocate, I instantly knew that this song was going to be a hit among the Drum n Bass heads. I for one like this song a lot as it feels like a classic Drum n Bass hit. The vocals that The Prototypes provided with the near perfect synths provides a Danceable, hell even mosh-able tune. This is a great track and I'm looking forward to their other releases.
Netsky - Give & Take [January 16, 2012]
Netsky is just a great artist overall. I had the pleasure to see him live numerous of times and each set I liked. This song that he released back in January is something special. He is known for this soft synths and his piano keys. If you look back to Memory Lane and Iron Heart, both of those songs were fantastic. His song Give & Take goes back to his old Drum n Bass roots which is one of his best styles!
Monsta - Holdin' On (Skrillex & Nero Remix) [October 23, 2012]
This song is something special. Skrillex and Nero are known for their song Promises which became a huge Dubstep hit. Fast forward a year later, they are back again but this time they remix Monsta's Holdin' On. This track is just phenomenal. The Drum n Bass pattern with Skrillex and Nero's synth is just a one of a kind. You can actually tell who did what part in the song but that's okay because its a wonderful masterpiece.
Rusko Ft. Bonnie McKee - Thunder (Tantrum Desire Remix) [July 10, 2012]
This track was for free for one day only. I remember because Rusko released a remix teaser and when I heard that he released the track for free, I jumped on it quickly. This remix is just great overall. I love Tantrum Desire's music because their style is just so different from most DnB artists. Every time they have a drop, the synth is rising, which I am a big fan of.
Seven Lions Ft. Shaz Sparks - Below Us (Smooth DnB Remix) [April 22, 2012]
Seven Lions is a star in the making. He has grown in such a short time and taking the Dubstep scene by storm. Smooth on the other hand is a Drum n Bass producer on the rise. He has been releasing hit after hit, hell I could do a Top 10 tracks with all of his music. He's just that great. I think this remix he did of Seven Lions' track is the best song out of all of his music this year. It is a tough choice to make as he has been producing a lot of hits. Damn, I'm excited for his 2013 releases.
Honorable Mention
Must Die! Ft. jACQ - Nothing Is Forever [TBA]
This track is a sure surprise. Must Die! is known for his Dubstep and Electro House music. When he released this track I was amazed by the composition. I have a thing for vocal Drum n Bass and I couldn't believe that this track was an original. I didn't know he could make Drum n Bass, this is why he deserves an honorable mention. He is just that good at producing.

0 comments: